Enrollment at Woodland Star requires a commitment on the part of parents to the education of all children in the school community. Each family is asked to devote at least fifty hours of volunteer time per year.
There are a number of ways parents can become involved in the life of the school and fulfill their parent participation commitment. There are various ways to support your class teacher both in school and out of school. Assisting in specialty classes, making crafts, cleaning the classrooms, doing laundry, sewing and making costumes, organizing camping and field trips all describe some of the help needed. Playground, garden, and site beautification are important tasks affecting the quality of classroom life and the need for parent support.
Festivals and fundraising events are two other areas that need parent involvement, not only for the success of the event, but to strengthen the bonds of the community. Fundraising is integral to our financial prosperity. Parents’ involvement in fundraising activities is in direct relation to Woodland Star’s continued ability to offer a full artistic curriculum. To help volunteer in the classroom, support our festivals, and with fundraising activities, watch for announcements on Parent Square, our school’s online communication forum.
Ways to Volunteer
- Assist in the classroom or teach a class using special skills you have to offer.
- Serve on a committee such as our Parent Association, Educational Foundation, Charter Council, or One Planet Committee.
- Serve as a Class Parent.
- Volunteer at one of the Festivals, events or fundraisers sponsored by the school.
- Attend orientations, all-school meetings, educational evenings and assemblies.
- Participate in and drive for class field trips if invited by a teacher.
- Assist with class plays – costuming sets, lighting, etc.
- Offer help in the office.
- Create fundraising opportunities for the school.
Our parents are a talented group, but only you know what your special skills are. If you have other ideas about ways in which you may help WSCS, please speak to your teacher or the Administrator.